Top tips to keep your cat warm in Winter
Does your cat stay away, meow excessively, hide under the blanket or just being grumpy? It could be a sign that your cat is feeling cold. The Winter months can aggravate health issues like arthritis in cats. Don’t worry, we have a few simple tips to keep your cat warm in Winter. Your feline member of the family should be happy and toasty in no time.
Keep your cat warm indoors
- Indoor cats like a window-ledge or chair where they can catch the warmth of the winter sun through the window during the day.
- As with people, arthritis in cats is aggravated by cold weather. Keep your cat warm in winter with a nice warm bed away from drafts and off the floor.
- A hot water bottle, heated beds or heat pad under the bedding can be helpful to provide a soft, gentle heat.
Keep your cat active indoors
- Indoor cats may become less active in the colder months. Indoor cats need their exercise and mental stimulation all year round. Make sure they have cat toys and cat trees to entertain themselves.
- Dr Kim Kendall recommends playing with your cat 10 – 15 minutes twice a day ideally at the same time so the cat has something to look forward to! A laser pointer can also be a fun exercise.
Keep your cat warm outdoors
The Humane Society says even with their thickened coats, outdoor cats still need warm, dry, well-insulated and appropriate-sized shelters.
- Keep cats that are young, old or on medication indoors as much as possible, because they are more vulnerable to the cold. Cats with diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, or hormonal imbalances may have a harder time regulating their body temperature.
- If you need help determining your pet’s temperature limits, consult your veterinarian.
Signs that your cat is too cold
Your cat might show signs that they are too cold including hiding under the blankets, limping or excessive meowing.
Contact your veterinarian immediately if you notice these signs or other changes in your cat’s behaviour such as energy level or appetite-decrease, staying away or – just being grumpy.