Welcome to episode eight of our Paw Perfect Introduction podcast series. This short episode is all about how to successfully introduce your baby to a kitten or adult cat.
Bringing home a new baby is exciting and a huge adjustment for new parents. Think carefully before taking on a kitten or adult cat at the same time. Renowned animal behaviourist Dr Joanne Righetti, Pet Problem Solved says it can be done but it won’t be easy!
Dr Jo knows all about babies, dogs and cats. She has introduced four cats, a dog, and chickens to her own family, not to mention a husband and three sons.
In this podcast, Dr Jo simply explains how you can make a ‘paw perfect’ introduction between your baby and a new kitten or adult cat. Listen now to the podcast or download the transcription for some great tips to ensure a smooth as possible introduction.
How to introduce your baby to a kitten or adult cat podcast key points
- Make sure your home is set up for the cat
- Keep the cat inside for a while (if she is going to be an outside cat) to get used to you and your home
- Supervise interaction between your baby or young child and the kitten or adult cat!
- Give the cat plenty of spots high up such as shelves and window sills to escape and snooze
- Spend time entertaining your kitten, they just want to play and involve your young child under supervision
- Show your young child how to stroke a cat