Welcome to episode five of our Paw Perfect Introduction podcast series. This short episode is all about how to successfully introduce your dog to a new baby.
Bringing home a new baby is a very exciting time in your life. It’s a huge adjustment for all members of the family including your pets. The last thing you need is a stressed dog because he feels threatened or his needs are not being met when the baby suddenly arrives.
Renowned animal behaviourist Dr Joanne Righetti, Pet Problem Solved, knows a thing or two about smooth introductions between pets, babies and children.
In the podcast, Dr Jo simply explains how you can make a ‘paw perfect’ introduction between your dog or puppy and your new bundle of human joy. Don’t leave it to chance! Listen now to the podcast or download the transcription.
How to introduce your dog to a new baby podcast key points
- Allow plenty of time to prepare your dog for the new baby’s arrival!
- Long before the baby arrives, start restricting your dog’s access to certain areas of your home such as the baby’s room
- If you will need help with dog walking when the baby arrives, start using a dog walker beforehand so your dog gets used to another person
- Play sounds of babies to get your dog used to the noises, observe how your dog reacts, praise for calm behaviour
- Get a doll or teddy bear and treat it like a real baby
- Bring scents into the house like baby lotions etc
- Invite a friend with a baby over to your house and observe how your dog reacts while keeping her on the lead
- It’s harder with a puppy! Crate train your puppy so your pup will have a happy and safe place to go to when you are unable to supervise interaction with your baby.
- Never leave your puppy/dog alone with a baby or young child!