Welcome to episode three of our Paw Perfect Introduction podcast series. This short episode is all about how to successfully introduce a second cat to your cat.
Bringing home a new cat or kitten can be very exciting but the fun and excitement can quickly turn to a display of bullying behaviour between the newcomer and your cat.
Renowned animal behaviourist Dr Joanne Righetti, Better With Pets blog, knows a thing or two about smooth introductions between new and existing pets. Dr Jo has introduced cats to cats, chickens to cats and cats to dogs in her home in Sydney, NSW.
Dr Jo says, ‘fur can fly’ when introducing a second cat to your cat. So, don’t leave it to chance! In our podcast, Dr Jo simply explains how you can make a ‘paw perfect’ introduction between a second cat and your cat. Listen now to the podcast or download the transcription.
How to introduce a second cat to your cat podcast key points
- Your cat may not automatically get along with the second cat
- Approach the introduction between a second cat and your cat very cautiously and with a lot of supervision
- Set aside a dedicated room for the newcomer – so this new cat feels safe
- Have a distance between the two cats at first, and praise your cat for being calm around the new cat
- Prepare your house in advance to be cat-friendly with lots of places the second cat and your cat can hide and get away from each other