Welcome to episode one of our Paw Perfect Introductions podcast series. This seven-minute episode is all about how to introduce a second dog or puppy to your existing dog.
Bringing home a second adult dog or puppy is very exciting but the fun and excitement can wear off quickly if your first dog is feeling anxious or threatened by the newcomer. If we want to successfully introduce a second dog or puppy we need to think ahead and not rush the process.
Animal behaviourist Dr Joanne Righetti simply explains step by step how you can make a ‘paw perfect’ introduction between a second dog or puppy to your existing dog.
Introduce a second dog or puppy to your existing dog podcast key points
- Make sure that the first impressions our existing dog has of a newcomer are positive ones
- If your new dog is also an adult dog, then first meet somewhere on mutual ground
- Settle the new puppy into one or two rooms so that they get to know you and feel confident in your company
- Keep a lead on each dog, because the last thing you want is one dog to be a bully—one dog to get overenthusiastic about greeting, and scare the other dog.
- Each dog should have their own individual space to get away from the other one. Crate training is a great option for puppies and for older dogs.