In this short podcast, renowned Animal Behaviourist Dr Joanne Righetti, Pet Problems Solved introduces 3 kittens to her dog and other pets. Dr Jo shares her own personal experience and the steps she took to introduce the kittens to her dog (and 16-year-old cat) in her busy household.
Dr Jo already had a dog (Chilli), a 16-year-old cat (Mew)and chickens when she adopted 3 kittens called Earth, Wind and Fire from Animal Welfare League NSW. Dr Jo knows how to create harmony between new and old pets and humans. Dr Jo reveals her tips for smooth sailing introductions between pets.
Introduces 3 kittens to her dog podcast key points:
- It’s important the kittens feel safe at each step of the introduction process
- Her house is full of cardboard boxes just for the cats to play with and make them feel safe.
- The kittens also have several places up high where they can escape from everyone else for peace and quiet.
- She used lots of praise and treats to reward her dog’s calm behaviour around the kittens during the introduction phase.
- Her dog is used to being around feisty felines in their home – you need to establish whether your dog is cat-friendly or not. If not, then you will need to work on that first!
Check out our Paw Perfect Introductions podcast series for more great tips from Dr Joanne Righetti on how to create smooth introductions between pets and their humans.
About Dr Joanne Righetti
Dr Jo helps pet owners understand their pet’s behaviour and solve behaviour problems. She is an animal behaviourist whose background is in zoology, with a PhD in animal behaviour and a counselling diploma – qualifications which enable her to work with all sorts of animals – including the human variety!
Dr Jo consults to pet owners, government, commercial pet companies and is a regular radio guest around Australia. She is proud to be an Ambassador of Animal Welfare League NSW, Assistance Dogs Australia and Purina Australia. She is also an honorary associate of the School of Veterinary Sciences, University of Sydney and an adjunct lecturer at the University of New England.