There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness and misery..” — Charles Darwin
Welfare worries for dogs
La Trobe University conducted a survey in 2013 of bird, cat, dog and rabbit owners to understand the pet care practices in Victoria. According to the research, many dog and cat owners don’t know the key welfare needs for a happy, healthy life. The research findings have shown there are five welfare worries for dogs:
- Lack of exercise and socialisation
- Lack fo preventative vet care
- Toxic treats
More information on welfare worries for dogs and tips for dog owners.
Welfare worries for cats
The research findings have shown there are six welfare worries for cats:
- Forced to share – in multiple cat households
- Lack of preventative vet care
- Injury from wandering at large
- Inability to express natural behaviours
- Lack of identification
More information on welfare worries for cats and tips for cat owners.