In this section:
- How to care for dogs
- Pet safety
- Disaster preparation tips for pets
The more time and effort we spend on our furry members of the family, the stronger the bond and a happier doggie. Here are a few sites to help you learn how to care for your doggie and fulfil its welfare needs.
How to care for dogs
- Your dog’s welfare needs, Welfare worries for dogs and Top tips for dog owners covers how to ease your dog’s loneliness, learn about your dog’s ideal body shape and weight, review your dog’s treats and make a commitment to walk your dog more often.
- Detailed information on pet ownership
- Animals Australia lists The 10 Commandments of Responsible Pet Ownership
- Natural diet for dogs
- Find a Vet – Australian Veterinary Association has an online tool to find a vet in your local area
- Pets in the Park is a charity that runs free pet health clinics for people struggling with homelessness at two locations in Sydney – Darlinghurst and Parramatta.
- Pet safety guide includes common household dangers, food safety and how to pet proof your home.
- RSPCA Victoria has information on how to deal with common emergency situations: wounds, poisoning, bites, burns and seizures.
Disaster Preparation Tips for Pets
Be prepared! International Fund Animal Welfare (IFAW) works with local communities to help them better prepare for future disasters. IFAW says to pack a pet survival kit, ensure your pet has proper identification and always take your pet with you during an evacuation.